40 Prado Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteers must be 18 years or older to volunteer at this location.
Servers should be reliable and ready to help upon arrival.
- Arrive at 7:45am for breakfast serving or 4:45pm for dinner serving, sign in on the Ipad, and begin set up
- Responsible for checking expiration/best by dates, use food that is closest to its expiration date first.
- Responsible for setting up food to be served, keeping aware of the portion sizes given by staff.
- Responsible for monitoring items and replenishing as needed.
- Responsible for notifying staff when foods or supplies are needed for the next day.
Shift time for breakfast servers are daily 7:45am to approximately 9:15-9:30am. Dinner serving shifts are Monday through Thursday 4:45pm-6:45pm.
Dinner Meal Prep
Help the kitchen prepare for dinner for over 100! This position will work closely with the kitchen supervisor doing various tasks such as dicing, mixing, peeling, etc. in order to prepare for the dinner meal. Closed toed, non slip shoes are a must and hair longer than shoulder length must be pulled back in a ponytail. Kitchen experience is a plus but not mandatory.
Shifts are Monday through Thursday 2pm to 4pm.
Front Desk Volunteer
Are you a friendly, outgoing individual who has compassion and empathy for those in life’s difficult situations and whose desire is to offer a warm smile and assistance to the participants? This position is a vital position we are seeking. This is not a one time volunteer opportunity, we are looking for consistent ongoing volunteers to help run the front desk. The front desk is the busy hub of the 40 Prado Homeless Service Center and as a Front Desk Volunteer, you are the face and the front lines of 40 Prado. Some of the duties the Front Desk Volunteers perform on a regular basis are as follows:
- Checking in participants.
- Phone calls – Answering calls, taking and relaying messages for staff and participants.
- Assist participants with making outbound calls.
- Receive and distribute incoming mail to participants and staff.
- Receive donations and provide In-Kind Donation receipts.
- Distributing personal care items
Other general duties associated with this position are answering participant questions, assisting participants with signing up for a locker, signing up to use the computer in the study lounge and dog kennel sign-up. Other duties associated with this position may vary from day to day.
Shift times are daily 7:30am – 11:30am, 11:30am-3:30pm, and 3:30pm-6:00pm.
BAM-Bring a Meal
CAPSLO’s 40 Prado Homeless Services Program is seeking meal donations from community members or groups who can provide a hot, ready-to-serve meal or donation of items to prepare for the evening meal such as sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. We have some helpful meal tips for groups of this size that I would be happy to forward to you. Volunteers who prepare meals are welcome to stay and serve meal to participants, but it is not a requirement of meal preparation and donation.
Generous donors like you are the key to this program’s success.
Breakfast Providers are requested to provide a warm breakfast for approximately 100+ people from 7:30am to 9:30am at 40 Prado. An average of 120 people per night are provided dinner at 40 Prado. Dinner is served nightly between 5pm-7pm. We depend largely on the support of the community to help feed this vulnerable population each night.