The 40 Prado Safe Parking programs offers individuals living in their cars a safe place to park overnight at 40 Prado as well as access showers, meals, mental and physical health services, and housing case management.
- Must be interested in obtaining permanent housing in SLO county.
- Must be a SLO county resident and provide proof for at least the last 12 months.
- Must be willing to participate in case management services at 40 Prado and save money for housing.
- Participants meet weekly with case manager.
- Participants have access to 3 meals per day, showers, laundry, pet kennels and on-site medical services.
- If interested please contact:
Sofi Mundschau- Case Manager Lead-Housing Programs
Manuel “Junior” Menchaca- Outreach Case Manager
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are Program Hours?
There aren’t “hours”. Once accepted, a person can park their car 24/7.
What time do I need to show up?
If someone is interested in participating they need to call the Lead Housing Case Manager, Sofi Mundschau at (805) 458-2984 first to arrange for an assessment. Once they are accepted into the program they just need to check in daily if they are going to come in for any services.
What are the program requirements?
Must be willing to be in case management with the goal to obtain permanent housing. The individual would need to meet weekly with the case manager, begin a savings plan at a bank of their choosing and/or work on obtaining a housing voucher. Must be an in-county resident with proof of in-county residency. Proof of insurance/registration is not necessary immediately but if they are accepted into the program they would need to work with the case manager to obtain registration/insurance within a certain timeframe. Read and sign the behavior agreement. A participant must be respectful of their neighbors. Cars and small RV’s are allowed.
If I don’t have a car, is there “walk-in” use of showers and bathrooms?
Regular day services are available to those individuals who have done an intake. Day services are from 8am – 2pm.
Are towels, washcloths, soap, shampoo, razors, women’s hygiene products, etc. being provided?
Are there electrical outlets for mobile devices to be charged?
Yes, inside 40 Prado Homeless Services Center.
Is somebody “on site” providing supervision?
Yes, and cameras monitor the parking lot 24/7.
Is there power for RVs to “hook up”?
No, that is not available.
Can I run my RV generator?
No. “Quiet Hours” are in place at all times.
My car is uncomfortable to sleep in. Can I pitch a tent near my car and sleep there?
No. If someone does not want to sleep in their car then they need to into the shelter.
Is this like camping?
No. All your “gear” must remain inside your vehicle. That also means: no tables or chairs, no camp stove, etc. outside your vehicle.
What is the Safe Parking Program vehicle capacity?
The capacity is 7 spaces.
Can I get the coronavirus from shared surfaces within the bathroom / shower?
Yes, that is possible. We recommend that you wear masks and gloves while entering and leaving the shower / bathroom, practical social distancing to the extent possible while inside, and use disinfectant on all surfaces, both before and after using the facilities.
Are pets allowed?
Yes. At all times:
(1) They must stay in your vehicle, except when they are being walked on a leash.
(2) Clean up after your pet.
(3) Pets must be kept quiet.
(4) They can never be left with anyone else.
(5) If the participant gets a job or goes to school their pet can be left in the kennel while they are working/in school. The participant is responsible for keeping the kennel clean, with fresh water and food.
Do pets require current tags and vaccinations?
They must show proof of rabies vaccination.